The concept of welfare in the hospital setting evolved way back in the nineteenth century. The idea behind it was to deal with Psycho social component of the illness of persons seeking treatment in a hospital.
Over a period of time, the concept evolved into providing counseling and guidance services to providing assistance in terms of medical aid like arranging for medicines through hospital support services.
In Safdarjang Hospital & Vardhman Mahavir Medical College the Medical Social Welfare Department came into existence from the time the hospital started.
The Medical Social Welfare Department is currently located in Room No. 17 of B wing in the OPD Building of Safdarjang Hospital, New Delhi.
The functions of this department are as follows:
· To study the Psycho social component of the patients and to provide necessary support.
· To help the patients to adjust himself to his or her illness.
· To remove the social problems which prevent the patients from making maximum use of the medical services and to arrange medical aid for them if necessary?
· To liaise with NGO¡¦s, or liaison between patients and doctor.
· To arrange for placement of abandoned babies to approved agencies of Government of India.
· Referral and rehabilitation services
· Counseling and guidance serves
· To visit the various wards and to provide necessary assistance to the indoor patients.
· To provide Railway Concession certificates to patients entitled for the benefit by Indian Railways as applicable. This includes patients suffering from Cancer, Tuberculosis, Chronic Kidney disease, Thalassemia, Hemophilia etc.
The department comes under an Additional Medical Superintendent ( Dr. Anita Jain ). The day to day functioning is supervised by the Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Prem Kumar ). The other staff includes Ms. Rashmi Sharma & Ms. Sangeeta Sharawat, Medical Social Workers, two nursing attendant .
The contact number of Medical social welfare department is 011-26707264.
(As on 04.06.14)