Established in - 1956
The department is functioning as the Regional STD Teaching, Training & Research Centre, Govt. of India. The Centre gives direct support to the public health programmes of immense importance i.e. National STD Control Programme and National AIDS Control Programme through Delhi State AIDS Control Society (DSACS). It has been recognized as Apex Centre for STIs by NACO in 2009.
The Centre consists of four sections:
1. Integrated Counselling & Testing Centre (ICTC).
2. Male and Female STD Clinics.
3. Regional STD Reference Laboratory giving laboratory support to all the above.
4. Survey cum Epidemiological unit.
The functions of the Centre are as under:
1. Clinical and laboratory diagnosis of all STIs & HIV cases.
2. Treatment of STI/RTI patients.
3. Epidemiological studies in the field.
5. Teaching & Training.
STI Physicians and Microbiologists are jointly carrying out all the above functions.
(As on 5.3.14)